A Ragnar and A Storm

I was going through my emails one day and saw one asking if someone wanted to join in (FOR FREE!) as a member of a Ragnar Relay team. I know Kyle is always up for a good race so I made sure he emailed back and reserved his spot. And OF COURSE Kyle was going to love it since it was the trail version of Ragnar and they would be running over parts of the Appalachian Trail. I helped him load up and said goodbye while he went up on Friday and Saturday. And then I took a look at the weather.... 
This was only the start. Over the next few days, it would pour buckets. Our front door even clouded over with all the fog. 
Boo was still getting used to our area so I took him out and about before it got really bad.
I think the rain combined with the stress of being in a new environment wore him completely out.
I kept checking the weather and once Saturday hit, the severe thunderstorm warnings started pouring (pun intended) in. Kyle didn't have great service so I wasn't sure if the race was going to be cancelled or if he was going to have to be running in mud. 
Meanwhile, Boo watched me while I unpacked. My oh my the stress of unpacking/organizing. It was slightly therapeutic...but only slightly. 
This is when the thunder started hitting. It was the WORST thunder storm I have ever heard! Like giant baseball bats cracking in the sky. I was filming part of it when I turned around and saw that Boo was scared of the sounds too. 
Kyle eventually called when he was on his way home. They hadn't canceled the race and it was raining the whole time they were there. He said there were times when he would be running on the trail and he would have to walk because running would have made him slip. When he brought his shoes in later that night, I couldn't even tell what color they used to be...they were COVERED in mud! There was one point on his drive home that he had to pull over to the side of the road and wait until the storm had moved on since the roads were starting to flood pretty badly.

Kyle finished strong with his usual speedy times. I'm glad he was able to go and run his heart out on parts of the Appalachian Trail.

No comments :

Post a Comment